Friday, May 21, 2010

Roller Girl


Roller Girl, originally uploaded by garyhellerphotography.

This is a character I had been wanting to do for a while. I had found a model who was a very good sport about it, so I got the supplies ( huge turbo jet rollers, clips, nightie and hairdresser to put it all together)and set it up.

I wanted attitude, some sex appeal, and in your face expression teamed with a post processing to bring the almost caricature/cartoonish aesthetic I was after.

Shot with studio lights against a white seamless backdrop.

Probably the funniest part of the whole deal was seeing me walk into an African beauty supply store and asking for the largest rollers in da house along with aligator clips to go along with it. Oh, and do you have any sheer pink/purple nighties around for sale. . .?

"No, oh no, not for me, I'm doing a photo shoot"

"Yeah, sure, whatever your into you crazy white boy" I can hear the very polite staff thinking to themselves. . .

So, here it is. . ."Roller Girl"

7 comments:

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

This one intrigues Gary. The inherent contradictions make you stop and pay more attention. I'm still trying to figure out what her eyes say to me - -

Sexy, matronly, housewifey, resigned, impatient .... COMPLEX!

Love it! You should put her in your calendar or book with the pin-ups, for she is a different kind of 'pin up'!

(c) Shannon Miller said...

Just beautiful. I love how you can see the silouette of one breast through the night gown. Sexy and scary at the same time!

www.lazyhuskyranch.com is my blog. Stop by sometime. :)

Rachel said...

Liebe Gary,

sehr gut ausgewählt und getroffen, ich bin begeistert, es zeigt nicht viel doch damit alles...

herzlichst, Rachel

Daryl said...

I can hear "Woman .. W O M A N" playing in the background .. does she have a frying pan in her hand out of frame?

My sister used rollers like that in her hair to get it to be straight .. she has a head of curls vs my stick straight .. ah genetic and the digressive rambling of a Sunday morning blog reader

Sharon McPherson: AUTHOR said...

Well, if I had a body like hers, I wouldn't mind being photographed in my nightie and curlers either ... lol

Sexy, strong and Roller Girl made me smile. Loved it. :)

dana said...

Oh this one made me laugh...well your description certainly did. I guess you can pretty much get by with anything by saying its "for a photography assignment"...not that they will believe you.

Lianne said...

This is a great shot Gary. I also love Jade Vixen (and your new "About Me" photo). I was just in NY and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. What an amazing city you call home. I can't wait to get back there.