Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Presidential Election 2008

Another election come and gone, but this was one that will define an era in history for our country.
I did not vote for Obama, however I can say that I am not disappointed that he won the election. I liked McCain better, but did not dislike Obama. After seeing the reaction last night on the streets especially amongst the black community, I feel that the very fact that a black man (half black, actually) has been elected may be what it takes to bring this country into a new era of unity and pride in itself and in the eyes of the world. As I was on the bus last night at about 10:00, there were a group of black passengers that were discussing Obamas win. It was apparent that they have never felt so connected with the political process as they did now, and the positive tones of their conversations and views were very encouraging to me. They were truly proud to be American. American flags were draped over cars, hanging down on balconies, being carried around through the streets by groups of teens and adults together. If he does well, he will be in for two terms. If he does not, he will be out after his four years. Whatever the case, the country has moved into a new era and one that seems to me to have much positive tone to it. I wish him well and will support him as my president for the next four years. I'm proud to be a part of the process and our great country.

No comments: