Wednesday, March 11, 2009

PAWS for Charity - 2009 Art Book Project



I'm happy to have had one of my photographs selected to be used in the 2009 Art Book Project by PAWS for Charity.

What is "Paws for Charity"?
Paws for Charity was created several years ago by four women who ran dog businesses and used their businesses to raise money for breast cancer charity. When the group was started, Sara Harley ran a dog biscuit business and sold a package called "Crunch for a Cure". One hundred percent of her proceeds was donated to breast cancer charity. Last year, Sara sold her dog biscuit business and Paws for Charity languished. This year, she decided to focus on fund raising through Paws for Charity through two projects. Two of the other Paws for Charity founders continue to sell their products to raise funds, and this year will be raising funds for different charities. Paws for Charity is not a registered charity, but we do raise funds for registered charities.
What is the "Art Book Project"?
2009 is the first year for this project. A 40 page book is being created using donated art and photograph images from the US, UK, and Canada. The book features dogs and cats (and one teddy bear!) (the PAWS part of the project) and all proceeds raised will be donated to breast cancer charities (the FOR CHARITY part of the project).

Why are you donating to breast cancer? Why not an animal charity?
Sara's mom died of breast cancer when she was 21, so it's a very personal cause for her. We thought it might be unique to use the bond we feel for our animals and raise funds for a human cause.
As the book is being put together and more information comes about I will update this post accordingly.

What a turn of fate for many. Our Iki was found in our backyard near death after his mother removed him from her litter. We nursed and raised him into a fiesty and loving 8 month old Kitten. Now, his great mug will be featured in a book that will go towards Breast Cancer Research and support to help save the lives of many more. Go iki, Go!! Selected photograph is shown below.


Here are some other photos of Iki. . .

5 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

Gary,
Thanks for your comments today on my blog. I noticed that your photo (great photo by the way) was chosen for the Paws for Charity book. I have one of my photos chosen as well. This is for a great cause and I am honored just to be part of it! I love your bird series. I also noticed that your are a member of the ETSY Photo team. I am as well but just do to time priorities, I have not been active with the group. That is something I need to do. I am going to make it a priority to be more proactive with the ETSY group. Thanks, again,

Dan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this update Gary (and we know how I feel about this particular photo..lol). Please keep us updated on the project. dana

Anonymous said...

Ha...I had not seen the one of Iki in the box...very cute. I know you made a comment about not liking the shadow one of his "vicious baring of teeth"...but I think the shadow really makes it cuter. dana

gh said...

Thanks for your comments, Dan.
Dana, I also feel the shadow makes the shot. It leavves a sort of comical scary effect to it much like the old horror movies where you saw the large lurking shadows on the wall approaching the helpless damsel. . .
I think the shadow I mentioned to you that I did not like was on one of the more normal photos of him.

Terry Spier-Kalmar said...

I love these photos - to see Iki go from such a frail, fragile kitty to one so full of life. You really caught the essence - and for such a great cause.

Thank you for your comments on Angel's Hair blog about my interview - I appreciated your comments. Sometimes it is difficult to stay true to who I am but I'm getting better at it.

Warmly,

Terry